Wednesday, November 10, 2010

One big bang vs.repeated cycles

All this talk about the "lifting of the veil" and the zombie/nuclear/alien/rapture-tribulation end of the world have got me thinking about whether or not I believe in literal or mythical eschatology. And I don't claim to know which one is right and which one is wrong. Like most contradictions in this (like to believed) black-and-white world, I feel that the answer lies somewhere in the middle.
I do go to church though, so that causes some biased opinion on the whole reincarnation-metempsychosis thing and therefore I don't buy into the cyclical eschatology in regards to coming back as different objects/beings. Although once again, I do not claim that this view is neither wrong nor right.The thought of not eating meat intrigues me since it IS possible that the life form is my great uncle, but that won't stop me for devouring and digesting it. But I do think that the important life lesson out of metempsychosis is the idea that we need to have respect for all things. whether that be animals, or nature, or even a brick wall; respect is the key. But I digressed (or maybe not).
The balance between the two (for me) is the notion that cyclical mythology occurs when our perceived view of the world around us changes. and I think that in that aspect, I have suffered many apocalypses already! and then my Religious upbringing kicks in (Protestant, not Jewish) and I believe that when Christ comes back he will bring an "eschatological" end for the earth as we know it as well. Both will occur, and one has been and will continue to be occurring all throughout my lifetime.
I realize that there are a LOT smarter people than I in the universe that will think what I just said is complete rubbish, and that there are also a LOT dumber people that will view it as complete bull shit as well. *The respect thing comes into play here; it doesn't matter if your view is different than someone else's because your view will change. and in the end regardless of which apocalypse you believe in we ALL die.
I think that how I continue to perceive my world will change a few more thousand times before I kick the can. Especially during the phase where what my parents taught me to believe differs from what I'm discovering to believe. An example of both occurring is the notion that we measure everything in years. I just had a birthday and every single person asks "Do you feel older than last year?" Why LAST year. Why last YEAR. why can't it be two days ago or 10348634098623409863098345 minutes ago? We already perceive our world on a cyclical yearly basis. But I think everyone will agree that it is not the actual 365 days that make us feel older or give us a new outlook, it's the events; the mythological eschatology, changing of our minds, witnessing something sublime, fearing death, taking on a new identity, losing weight, getting married, getting divorced, having kids, etc. THOSE are the apocalypse. and although change is scary, it should not be feared to the point of debilitation and so for all those zombie and radical end of the world freaks, calm down! You have nothing to fear. I guess maybe the rapture will bring forth a literal end but I'm guessing that I'll already be dead by then and those on the earth that are left can create their own interpretation of what's to come. the important thing is that what's to come has already been done before and will change something within you. What's to come is Mythology!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List