Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Mythological events

Our assignment to witness something mythical is not a hard one because as I look around I see plenty of things that are right out of Ovid.

The first thing is that I'm pretty sure birds watch me. Every time I walk to class there is a particular spot of grass by the science building that a certain bird (possibly a magpie) is hanging out on and as I walk by this bird stares right into my eyes and then follows me. It is only like 5 feet at the most but it is still unnerving having this small powerful animal tracking me down. Could be Tereus still searching for his wife and sister-in-law. Possibly I look like Procne did in her first life. Interesting to ponder...
21 - CO - Rocky Mtn NP - Magpie














The second cue comes from the many seasonal festivities that are happening. Specifically the idea of corn mazes. The very first mythological story I ever learned was of the minotaur and the labyrinth. And corn mazes are just a different cultures way of reliving this mythological tale. I'm glad our mazes today do not include a giant man-bull trying to hunt us down, but the thought of being trapped in a maze still makes me anxious as did the labyrinth back in illo tempore.


The third mythological event I have witnessed happened over dinner. My mom was making stew and as I walked through the door I was hit with this awful smell that somehow made me want to throw up and bathe in it at the same time. It was some sort of meat that she was boiling so that the meat (flesh) would fall away from the bone. Instantly I was reminded of Tatalus and Pelops. Since humans are sometimes transformed into animals, I couldn't help thinking that I was eating somebody's son. This made me very unsettled and dinner was not as enjoyable as I would have hoped.
http://www.cookinglouisiana.com/_Images/Seafood/crab-shrimp-stew.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List