Monday, October 11, 2010

Mythos + logos

"If the test of truth lay in a show of hands or a counting of heads, the system of magic might appeal, with far more reason than the Catholic Church, to the proud motto, Quod semper, quod ubique, quod ab omnibus ["Always, everywhere, and by all"], as the sure and certain credential of its own infallibility."

Being in this class has brought up a lot of (well needed) questions of my own religious beliefs. I never would have labeled myself as "religious" but I believed in one God who had a son that died so that I may one day live eternally in heaven. I wasn't quick to judge or condemn other religions, including lack there of, or to change and convert people. I believed that Faith is made up of a personal relationship with Christ.

Now that sounds all fine and dandy until someone questions me WHY? And my only reply is because when I was little my parents forced-fed me the bible and because I was so young with childlike enthusiasm I swallowed every line. not a very good answer. but yet it's the truth. It's because I undoubtedly believed these bible stories to be true; but that's all they are, stories. I loved hearing the 1 minute creation myths of my fellow classmates, but it got me thinking of how it would sound if someone did the Christianity creation myth. "A long time ago there was this God who spoke into the dark and created light. He spent 6 days making the earth and living creatures. He made man out of clay and then took that mans rib to make a woman." To be honest--it sounds just as ridiculous as some of those other myths (aka the Egg splitting up into the heaven and earth). So why do I choose to believe this creation story over all the rest?! This is a hard question that I have been struggling with since I was finally able to choose what I believed separate from that of my parents.

These myths can easily be someone's reality. We should not treat them like meaningless stories, but we also need to decipher which ones we believe and why. But this deciphering should NOT be judgment. Who are we to say which myth is the correct one? after awhile they all sound pretty silly. I guess that's where Faith comes in, believing in something that you are unsure of. What we have faith in is a powerful foundation of how we build our lives. Don't simply raise your hand or swallow because they tell you to; Go out and find it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List